The Northwest Passage
* Subject to availability.
- Crossing the legendary Northwest Passage, in the wake of Explorers.
- Outings and shore visits in Zodiac® inflatables with your naturalist guides.
- Landscape: wide expanses of ice floe, myriad of jagged islands, blue glaciers, mountain ranges, tundra, steeped cliffs.
- Wildlife: arctic foxes, seabird colonies, bowhead whales, orcas and opportunities to see polar bears.
- Visit traditional villages and encounter the local people.
- From Ilulissat: Helicopter flight over a glacier (optional).
Roundtrip flight included
Staterooms & Suites
There are no staterooms available for booking. Please contact our cruise advisors.
In May 2011, l'Austral joined PONANT's fleet. This superb mega-yacht with 132 staterooms is the result of the expertise of the Italian Fincantieri shipyard and French sophistication, as interpreted by designer Jean-Philippe Nuel. L'Austral remains faithful to our philosophy - to create a unique atmosphere, a subtle blend of luxury, intimacy and well-being.
A sleek silhouette softened by elegantly smooth contours and large, arched windows opening up to the sea and the light: so many features come together to give L’Austral her distinctive shape. Precious materials, discreet elegance and a perfect balance between chic and casual, combine to make you feel as if you are on your own private yacht. A design blending tradition and innovation, where a nautical mood has been subtly recreated. A welcoming atmosphere of relaxed sophistication revolves around shades of grey, taupe, white and ivory enlivened by touches of cinnamon, caramel and tan.. So many personal touches create the spirit of a “private yacht.”
You will encounter unique itineraries, calls inaccessible to large ships, chic and elegant yacht-like ambiance, refined and personalized service as well as gastronomic cuisine.
Port of call & excursions
Discover the unique concept of PONANT polar expedition cruises: explore the world’s extreme regions while enjoying luxurious comfort and service.
A luxury expedition voyage
Choosing a PONANT expedition cruise means choosing a state of mind: the alliance of elegance and authenticity, of exploration and comfort, of adventure and refinement… The comfort of your ship and your stateroom, personalised and attentive service, refined gastronomy: a very special atmosphere that we take great care to maintain. In the heart of the ice floes of the Arctic and the Antarctic, our luxurious services will ensure that your expedition cruise is an unforgettable experience.
PONANT, polar specialists
With almost 20 years of experience in the extreme regions, PONANT, the world’s number 1 polar cruise company, is a real polar specialist. PONANT will take you to the most remote regions in total safety: our Captains and crew are professionals, specially trained to sail in icy waters. Our latest-generation fleet has the most modern technology to guarantee both your safety and respect for the regions visited. The size of our ships means we can get as close as possible to areas that are difficult to reach, offering a privileged access to preserved sites. Our flexibility enables us to adapt to the surprises inherent to these expedition itineraries.
Professional expedition teams, varied activities
After scouting missions in the field, our Expedition Leaders and their teams of naturalist guides design exceptional itineraries in the polar regions. During the cruise, they organise daily outings and shore visits in Zodiac dinghies and hikes on land so as to get as close as possible to nature and wild fauna. In the Arctic and in Alaska, the close relationships that our teams have been able to build with the local communities will enable you to understand the life of these peoples of the Far North, and to share it for a few hours. On board, the naturalist guides will share their knowledge during various conferences on fauna, the history of the great explorations, geology and climatology…
Flight Paris / Kangerlussuaq + transfers + flight Nome / Seattle
For your serenity, PONANT selects a flight and organizes the transfers between the port and the airport (or vice versa). This package is included in your cruise fare.
Embarkation Day - Paris/Kangerlussuaq
Flight Paris/Kangerlussuaq selected by PONANT.
It is highly recommended to arrive in Paris the day before this flight.
Approximate flight duration: 5 hours.
Meet and greet at Kangerlussuaq airport (English-speaking assistance).
Transfer to the pier for embarkation.
– Cruise on board l’Austral –
Disembarkation Day – Nome/Seattle
Meet and great at the port (English-speaking assistance).
Transfer to airport.
Flight Nome/Seattle selected by PONANT.
It is highly recommended to plan a departure from Seattle the day after this flight.
Approximate flight duration: 4 hours 30 min.
Your programme includes:
- Flights Paris/Kangerlussuaq – Nome/Seattle selected by PONANT, in economy class.
- Transfers airport/port in Kangerlussuaq and port/airport in Nome.
- English-speaking assistance.
Your programme does not include:
- Tips for the local guide.
- Personal expenses.
- Other services not mentioned in the programme.
- Flights are, as of today, operated in economy class.
- Detailed programme including flight schedule will be provided with your “travel document”.
- For passengers in transit in Paris and/or Seattle, it is highly recommended to stay one night in Paris before and/or one night in Seattle after these flights to ensure your connecting flights.
- Package subject to availability.
- This programme is subject to change without prior notice.
- Tourist infrastructures are very limited in Kangerlussuaq and Nome and offer basic comfort therefore causing waiting times.
- Carry-ons must be limited on board the buses used for the passengers transfer to/from the airport (if too large the carry on could be transferred with the main luggage). We recommend the use of a back-pack.
- Due to limited human resources, please note that drivers act as guides.
Duration of the visits are given as a guide only. To know your PONANT flight schedule, please contact your travel agent; it is also indicated on your electronic ticket included in your travel documents. Passengers must check-in at least two hours before flight departure time.