The best of Spitzbergen
* Subject to availability.
• Outings and landings in Zodiac®.
• A team of experienced Naturalist-Guides.
• Sailing in the fjords of Spitsbergen.
• Hiking opportunity.
• Natural delights: ice floes, jagged mountains, icebergs, icecaps, steep- sided valleys, steep cliffs, huge glaciers, glacier fronts.
• Wildlife: Arctic Foxes, Svalbard Reindeers, Arctic Terns, Walruses, Whales, Puffins possibility of viewing Polar Bears.
Roundtrip flight included
- Staterooms & Suites
- LE BOREAL
- Port of call & excursions
- Cruise Package
- Important information
Staterooms & Suites
There are no staterooms available for booking. Please contact our cruise advisors.
Like her sisterships, Le Boréal embodies the subtle alliance between luxury, intimacy and wellbeing which is PONANT’s signature. The elegance of her exterior and interior lines and her intimate size (only 132 staterooms and suites) make this a rare and innovative yacht on the cruise market.
Superior materials, discreet elegance and a tasteful décor reflect a nautical mood subtly revisited. Aboard, soothing neutral grey tones are enlivened by splashes of red, our signature theme linking tradition and innovation to create personal touches in the spirit of a “private yacht”.
Port of call & excursions
The information below is current but subject to change at any time without advance notice from government authorities. Please consult your respective government agencies for visa and health information.
Passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond the completion of your trip. Passport must contain at least two completely clear, blank, unused visa pages for each visa required, not including any amendment pages. Visa pages with stains or ink from other pages in the passport are not usable. Guests who deviate from the scheduled embarkation or disembarkation port should research the foreign entry requirements for the port country. Due to government regulations, regrettably, Ponant will have to deny boarding to any guest who fails to obtain the appropriate travel documentation for this trip.
Discover the unique concept of PONANT polar expedition cruises: explore the world’s extreme regions while enjoying luxurious comfort and service.
A luxury expedition voyage
Choosing a PONANT expedition cruise means choosing a state of mind: the alliance of elegance and authenticity, of exploration and comfort, of adventure and refinement… The comfort of your ship and your stateroom, personalised and attentive service, refined gastronomy: a very special atmosphere that we take great care to maintain. In the heart of the ice floes of the Arctic and the Antarctic, our luxurious services will ensure that your expedition cruise is an unforgettable experience.
PONANT, polar specialists
With almost 20 years of experience in the extreme regions, PONANT, the world’s number 1 polar cruise company, is a real polar specialist. PONANT will take you to the most remote regions in total safety: our Captains and crew are professionals, specially trained to sail in icy waters. Our latest-generation fleet has the most modern technology to guarantee both your safety and respect for the regions visited. The size of our ships means we can get as close as possible to areas that are difficult to reach, offering a privileged access to preserved sites. Our flexibility enables us to adapt to the surprises inherent to these expedition itineraries.
Professional expedition teams, varied activities
After scouting missions in the field, our Expedition Leaders and their teams of naturalist guides design exceptional itineraries in the polar regions. During the cruise, they organise daily outings and shore visits in Zodiac dinghies and hikes on land so as to get as close as possible to nature and wild fauna. In the Arctic and in Alaska, the close relationships that our teams have been able to build with the local communities will enable you to understand the life of these peoples of the Far North, and to share it for a few hours. On board, the naturalist guides will share their knowledge during various conferences on fauna, the history of the great explorations, geology and climatology…
Flight Paris / Longyearbyen + Transfer + Flight Longyearbyen / Paris
Embarkation day Paris / Longyearbyen
Paris - Longyearbyen on a chartered PONANT flight.
A hot meal with drink will be served during the flight.
Our local representative will welcome you at the airport and will introduce you to Longyearbyen culture and history.
The administrative center of Spitsbergen, in the Svalbard Archipelago, is a gateway to the wonders of the high Arctic region.
Just 1300km from the North Pole, Longyearbyen has an average temperature of 7°C in July and
-21°C in February with less than 300 mm precipitation per year, from which larger part is in form of snow.
Almost all the colorful houses are built on poles to combat the permafrost (frozen ground), and the lion’s share of all produce is shipped or flown in.
Summer in this area is a magical time, when the sun never sets and the cries of migratory birds fill the air.
You will leave the airport by bus towards the Culture House where you will meet a local who will introduce you to how it was to grow up in Svalbard in the 50/60’s, what challenges, experience and development, the population have been through.
After a refreshment, you will be guided towards the pier for your embarkation.
Disembarkation day Longyearbyen / Paris
Disembarkation in Longyearbyen.
Our local representative will welcome you at the port where you will start your guided walk of Longyearbyen discovery through the old and new town, the valley up to Nybyen and will end at the traditional miners’ house.
A snack under an arctic lavvo tent will be offered prior to your flight.
You will then be transferred to the airport for your check in.
A late meal will be served after the take-off on board the plane.
Your program includes:
- Port to airport and airport to port transfer
- Chartered flight Paris / Longyearbyen / Paris in economy class, on European airline
- Visits and transfers mentioned above
- English speaking assistance
- Flights are subject to change without prior notice.
- Seats are limited and subject to availability.
- This is the referral program and the order of visits can be modified.
- For passengers in transit in Paris, we recommend to stay one night in Paris before outbound and after inbound flight to ensure onward connections.
Expeditions programs include activities such as Zodiac® outings (often with "wet landing"), moderate walks to more active hikes. All this accompanied by your expedition team of naturalist guides. Calls, landings & zodiac® cruises will depend on weather conditions, position of ice (during polar cruises) and winds and the state of the sea. These can force a change of plans at any time.
Taking into consideration the unusual and exceptional character of expedition itineraries, the calls shown are an indication only. The final route will be confirmed by the Captain and Expedition Leader, who will take into account the touristic quality of the sites and above all, the safety of the passengers. Their decision will be subject to that of local authorities and the expert pilots present on board during the navigation in polar and /or isolated zones.
Travelling to polar/isolated regions is an exhilarating experience. The raw beauty and untouched wilderness offer an unusual chance to experience a place where there is little evidence of human presence. Inevitably, there are some consequences that come with such remoteness: please remember that you are far from modern hospitals with full medical facilities, thus evacuation is highly expensive. Without the necessary medical coverage, all expenses will have to be immediately paid for with your personal funds. We urge you to subscribe a full coverage insurance, choose your insurance company very carefully and be extremely vigilant and ensure your insurance is fully comprehensive.
- Water-resistant parka offered on board (for adults only) on Expedition cruises where the stamp “Parka gift” appears
- Half calf rubber boots with non-slip soles, which will allow you to land in 20 cm of cold water, keeping your feet dry for walks and visits on steep paths. You can also bring water-resistant hiking boots. A boots rental will be offered onboard (for adults only) on Expedition cruises where the stamp “Boots offered” appears
- Comfortable pants: classic Winter pants, warm cotton tracksuit
- Water-resistant windbreaker over pants - COMPULSORY
- Winter pants with water-resistant over pants is the ideal combination: water-resistance and comfort suitability of pants are essential
- Pullover, sweat-shirt or fleece jacket
- Fleece muffler and fleece cap or thermal beanie covering ears (avoid scarfs which do not stand still)
- Water-resistant and supple gloves
- Polarized sunglasses with high UV filter
- Mosquito repellent
- Walking sticks (highly recommended)