* Subject to availability.
- Outings and shore visits in Zodiac®inflatables with a team of experienced naturalist guides.
- Lectures and information sessions hosted by our naturalist-guides, covering wildlife, history, geopolitics, the great explorers, climate, environmental protection…
- Hiking opportunity.
- Visiting research stations and former whaling stations.
- Landscapes: a multitude of drifting icebergs, ice floes, imposing glaciers and tall, snow-covered mountains.
- Wildlife: humpback whales, Gentoo penguins, Adelie penguins, chinstrap penguins, leopard seals, crabeater seals, Weddell seals and numerous sea birds.
- Educational discovery in the respect of environment.
- New: for your comfort and convenience, an optional premium package including one night in Ushuaia on the eve of boarding your ship and an excursion to Tierra del Fuego National Park (for details, see the “Pre/post & overlands” tab for your cruise. Please contact your travel adviser for information and bookings).
- Pre & post cruise programmes are available in the "Pre/post & overlands" tab. Please contact your travel adviser for information and bookings.
Domestic flights included
Staterooms & Suites
There are no staterooms available for booking. Please contact our cruise advisors.
In May 2011, l'Austral joined PONANT's fleet. This superb mega-yacht with 132 staterooms is the result of the expertise of the Italian Fincantieri shipyard and French sophistication, as interpreted by designer Jean-Philippe Nuel. L'Austral remains faithful to our philosophy - to create a unique atmosphere, a subtle blend of luxury, intimacy and well-being.
A sleek silhouette softened by elegantly smooth contours and large, arched windows opening up to the sea and the light: so many features come together to give L’Austral her distinctive shape. Precious materials, discreet elegance and a perfect balance between chic and casual, combine to make you feel as if you are on your own private yacht. A design blending tradition and innovation, where a nautical mood has been subtly recreated. A welcoming atmosphere of relaxed sophistication revolves around shades of grey, taupe, white and ivory enlivened by touches of cinnamon, caramel and tan.. So many personal touches create the spirit of a “private yacht.”
You will encounter unique itineraries, calls inaccessible to large ships, chic and elegant yacht-like ambiance, refined and personalized service as well as gastronomic cuisine.
Port of call & excursions
Flight Buenos Aires / Ushuaia + visit or time at leisure + transfers + flight Ushuaia / Buenos Aires
For your serenity, PONANT selects a flight for your trip and provides transfers and visits. This package is included in your cruise fare.
Embarkation Day – Buenos Aires/Ushuaia
Flight Buenos Aires/Ushuaia selected by PONANT.
Approximate flight duration: 3 hours, 30 min.
Meet and greet at the airport (English-speaking assistance)
Depending on your choice made when booking your cruise (options not combinable):
Departure from the airport for your transfer to the Arakur Hotel, one of the newest hotels built in Ushuaia. It overlooks the town and its bay.
In the Yamanas’ language, “Ushuaia” means “the bay which looks towards the east”. This native tribe was established here long before the arrival of the “white” people. At the tip of the Beagle Channel, which connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, Ushuaia is a unique place in this world and is proud to be the southernmost city. Rising on an island, it seems to float between two oceans. The snow-capped mountains draw the border with Chile in the background. Here you truly feel at the end of the world…
After lunch at the Arakur Hotel you will have some time at leisure and/or will be invited to join a walk through the Natural Reserve of the Cerro Alarken. Arakur is a unique starting point for discovering a preserved area which covers 100 hectares (248 acres); this is a sheltered place for flora and fauna species typical to the Tierra del Fuego area (please note that the observation of fauna is not guaranteed). The unique location of the Arakur close to the Mount Alarken makes it as well the perfect setting to enjoy lovely panoramas over the bay.
The walk is selected in order to suit most guests’ walking ability. You will be escorted by a guide to discover the park.
When booking the cruise, guests willing to visit the Tierra del Fuego National Park will be able to sign up for an optional group excursion, with extra cost. If you decide to do so, please note that immediately upon arrival in Ushuaia airport, you will leave towards the Park where you will have lunch before starting the tour.
Created in 1960, the park which covers 63 000 hectares (155 670 acres) is located in the south west of the Tierra del Fuego Province on the Beagle Canal. One of his entries stands slightly over 6 miles from Ushuaia.
Mountainous landscapes, lagoons, bogs, and rivers draw a picturesque scenery reinforced by the southern position of the park itself. The Darwin Mountains, which represent the southern part of the Andes Mountains are mainly responsible for such landscape. The Park is only partly accessible to the public and this tour will provide you with the opportunity to discover the local flora and sub-Antarctic landscapes. If you get lucky, you may encounter beavers, dams, birds, wild orchids, etc… This is a true paradise for Nature Lovers!
Lunch will be served in a restaurant within the Park.
(Please note that the Tierra del Fuego excursion is subject to a minimum of participants: if this number is not reached, our operator will not be able to guarantee the departure – In this case, you will be given the option to join the Arakur programme.)
At the end of your visit, you will return to Ushuaia and the port, for embarkation on your vessel.
– Cruise on board your ship
Disembarkation Day – Ushuaia/Buenos Aires
Meet and great at the port (English-speaking assistance).
Transfer to the airport for check-in of the flight Ushuaia/Buenos Aires selected by PONANT.
Approximate flight duration: 3 hours, 30 min.
Your programme includes:
- Transfers, flights Buenos Aires/Ushuaia/Buenos Aires in economy class
- Lunch at Arakur Hotel and beverages during lunch (mineral water + 1 soft drink or 1 local beer + 1 coffee) on embarkation day
- English-speaking local guide during the transfers.
- The walk through the Cerro Alarken Reserve starting from the Arakur Hotel and leaded by English speaking guide (except if you select optional Tierra del Fuego National Park excursion)
For your optional Tierra del Fuego National Park excursion, your programme includes:
Please note if you choose this excursion, it is not combinable with Arakur Hotel programme and therefore replaces it.
- The excursion by local bus and the entrance fees to the National Park
- The lunch with the beverage package including: 1 mineral water + 1 soft drink or 1 local beer + tea or coffee
- Transfers and visit as mentioned in the programme
- The services of a local English speaking guide
Your programme does not include:
- Tips for the local guide.
- Personal expenses.
- Other services not mentioned in the programme.
- The 4-night pre-cruise programme “Patagonia, land of contrast” found under the “pre/post & overland" tab and the programme scheduled on embarkation day detailed here above are not compatible. If choosing to participate on the “Patagonia, land of contrast” programme the amount of the included embarkation day programme, will be deducted from your invoice. Please call our travel agents for reservation and to have your invoice adjusted accordingly.
- The local currency is the Argentinian Peso. You will be able to make most of your purchases in USD (in small denominations) or by credit card, accepted in most hotels, shopping centres and boutiques. You will also be able to retrieve Pesos from the ATM’s.
- Summer season: temperatures vary between 41F and 65F
- We recommend you wear warm clothing and comfortable walking shoes either for the visit to the Reserve or if you book the optional excursion to the National Park.
To know your PONANT flight schedule, please contact your travel agent; it is also indicated on your electronic ticket included in your travel documents. Passengers must check in at least two hours before flight departure time.